We trust that you remain healthy and are succeeding in navigating the challenges of focussing on your studies during these extraordinary times. Your lecturers have been working hard to provide you with a rich and engaging online learning experience and we continue to monitor the situation daily to ensure the successful completion of the 2020 academic year.
This communique serves to update you on:
1. Academic arrangements for Level 3 of Lockdown;
2. Second opportunity to complete 1st Semester modules
3. Free cellular data for June; and
4. Academic programmes offered by STADIO School of Education (previously Embury) that commence in July 2020.
1. Academic arrangements for Level 3 of Lockdown
On 23 May 2020, the Minister of Higher Education, Innovation and Science outlined the implementation of measures that will govern how the post-school education and training sector will operate under Level 3 of the National Lockdown. He announced that a maximum of 33% of the student population will be allowed to return to campuses, delivery sites and residences, on condition that they can be safely accommodated and supported in line with the applicable health and safety protocols. He also outlined the cohorts of students who will be prioritised.
The following cohorts are applicable to the SSoE:
- Students in the final year of their programmes, who are on a path to graduating in 2020.
- Final year students who require access to laboratories, technical equipment, data connectivity and access to residence and private accommodation.
We are committed to following the appropriate regulations and to ensuring the health and well-being of all the members of our learning community. The SSoE’s Senior Management (EXCO) is therefore prioritising the planning for the return of students to campus in ways that ensure adherence to national guidelines as follows:
- Teaching, learning and assessment will remain online as planned for all students for the remainder of the semester (see Communique 6).
- A survey will be sent to all students in the final year of the BEd (Foundation Phase Teaching), BEd (Intermediate Phase Teaching) and Higher Certificate (Pre-School Education) programmes to establish those who require access to campus for connectivity and technical support, for making use of the Resource Centre and for module specific support.
- A plan based on the survey feedback will be prepared to allow some staff and students to gain access to our different campuses. Students in the final year of their programmes (as specified above) will have access for specific purposes under specific conditions and will receive further communication elaborating on this by Friday, 5 June 2020.
- The return to campus, for identified students only, will be a phased one and will commence on Wednesday 17 June 2020, as per the regulations which allow for the opening of campuses two weeks after the move to National Lockdown Level 3 on 1 June 2020.
- Further communication about the Montana Campus residence will be sent to relevant students.
- The next two weeks will be used to prepare for the return of some staff and students to our campuses. Health and safety measures are being finalised and will include the compulsory wearing of masks, screening stations at entrances, social distancing, managing the number of people accessing each campus, and ample availability of sanitisers. Upon first arrival to campus, you will receive STADIO masks, hand sanitiser and gloves.
Despite the challenges of moving our teaching and assessment online within a short space of time we have had positive feedback from both staff and students. We continue to monitor the situation daily to assist staff and students wherever possible and respond promptly to new challenges. We know it has not been easy for you and we urge you to remain reassured of our commitment to ensuring that no student is disadvantaged by circumstances beyond their control.
We care about your academic and personal well-being and encourage you to please use the support services we have put in place so that you can get prompt and appropriate support.
Learning Support – Please send an email to your campus support team at:
- Durban Musgrave Campus: firstname.lastname@example.org
ICT Support – Should you experience any computer- and account-related issues – you can log a call by sending an email to email@example.com. One of our IT technicians will be in contact as soon as possible to assist you. Please note that we can only provide support on our students’ own devices, and not those of friends or family.
2. 2nd Opportunity to complete 1st Semester Modules
As per Communique 7 issued on 1 May 2020, students will be allowed to apply for a second opportunity. In order to apply for a second opportunity, you must access the application form and the request the application form and instructions from the support email addresses included in this Communique.
3. Free Cellular Data for June
All Contact Learning students are eligible to receive another free data bundle allocation. We have now managed to get all the Cellular Providers on board1 and have also streamlined the request procedure. Please visit the following ECI site to request your free data bundle: CL Student Mobile Data Offering form
4. Academic Programmes offered by STADIO School of Education (previously Embury) starting in July 2020
- The NEW Bachelor of Education Honours in Inclusive Education will start in Semester 2 2020 and applications are now open. Should you or someone you know be interested in learning more, please visit our website at www.embury.ac.za/teaching-qualifications/. There will be a 2021 Semester 1 intake for this programme, for which applications will open towards the end of this 1 Please note that TELKOM DATA (Prepaid and Contract) will not allow roaming via non-Telkom towers. year. Please click here for more information: www.embury.ac.za/wpcontent/uploads/2020/04/2020-STADIO-Factsheet-BEdHons-DL-Apr-2020.pdf
- The Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching for prospective high school teachers will have a 2020 Semester 2 intake, for which applications are now open. Please click here for more information: https://www.embury.ac.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-STADIO-Factsheet-PGCE-DL-Nov2019_1.pdf
Both these programmes will be offered via distance learning delivery mode which allows students to live or work anywhere (in South Africa and internationally) whilst studying. The model includes weekly live learning events that can be attended on campus or via a ZOOM webinar. All learning events are recorded and are placed on YouTube for later viewing, as fits into the student’s schedule.
STADIO School of Education will also have 2020 Semester 2 intakes for the following distance learning programmes, for which applications are now open:
- Higher Certificate in Pre-School Education; and
- Bachelor of Education in Foundation Phase Teaching.
Should you or someone you know be interested in learning more, please visit our website at