I write to you at a time when we (STADIO School of Education, South Africa and the world) are facing uncertainty and challenges because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our priority is to keep you safe and to ensure the successful completion of the 2020 academic year.
This communique serves to bring you up to date on how the academic programme will proceed for the rest of Semester 1 (and into Semester 2). This message applies to our Contact Learning (CL) and Distance Learning (DL) students and includes the PGCE students
STADIO School of Education (SSoE) planned for Semester 1 to be re-started on 20 April. However, on Thursday, 9 April, the President announced an extension of the National Lockdown period to 30 April. Whilst the president was positive about the way in which the South African community is dealing with the crisis, he warned that we have a “monumental struggle” ahead of us. We at STADIO respect the nation-wide lockdown and will abide by the rules and regulations that have been put in place to protect all of us.
SSoE’s Senior Management (EXCO) met this morning and rescheduled the 2020 Academic year as follows:
- For the past three weeks the STADIO lecturers and other professional and administrative support staff have been working from home to ensure that the rest of our 2020 Academic Project runs smoothly and that we can still achieve all the learning outcomes to conclude the year. Lecturers will continue to move their lecture rooms to the ECI (Moodle) platforms from where they will be doing their “lectures” in innovative (but quality) online ways;
- Whilst all ECI sites are currently available to students, all ECI sites will be formally open for students to work in from 20 April;
- Semester 1 will continue in ONLINE mode until lockdown restrictions have been relaxed that will allow students to visit the campuses or learning centres;
- Students can use the open ECI modules sites to do revision and to work ahead on assessment tasks due later in the semester;
- All online assessment dates will only be scheduled from 7 May onwards; A revised assessment schedule with due dates will be available by 24 April;
- There will be no sit-down tests or examinations for Semester 1 modules (or tests for Year modules during Semester 1);
- There will be no Teaching Practice during Semester 1; The TP department is reviewing TP requirements and will ensure that students meet what is needed to be promoted.
- The delivery of the Semester 1 curriculum will continue till Tuesday, 30 June;
- Recess for students will start on Wednesday, 1 July and recess for staff will start on Friday, 10 July;
- Semester 1 results will be released on 15 July; and
- Semester 2 will resume on Monday, 27 July.
A new revised 2020 CALENDAR (accommodating the dates above) will be published on ECI as soon as possible.
Should the FULL national lockdown be continued post 30 April the restart of Semester 1 and the 2020 Academic Year will have to be reviewed.
We are also aware that some of our students are experiencing challenges to go on the internet and log in on ECI. In the next few days we will conduct an ECI ACCESS SURVEY amongst all our CL and DL students and analyse the data obtained to a) inform us of the study-related circumstances of our students, and b) to guide our decision-making to be in the best interests of our students.
Students are encouraged to check their SSoE “Embury” emails and visit their ECI sites to engage with all the information provided. The STADIO School of Education will continue to honour our commitment to student support and open communication with students via the following email addresses.
Contact Learning: Please send an email to your campus support team:
- Durban Musgrave Campus: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pretoria Montana: email@example.com
- Midrand Waterfall: firstname.lastname@example.org
Distance Learning: Please send an email to your distance learning support team
ICT Support: should you experience any Computer related and Login Related issues – you can log a call at the following email. One of our IT technician will be in contact as soon as possible to assist you.
STADIO School of Education wants to assure all students, parents and sponsors that we are 100% committed to complete the 2020 Academic Year by the end of December 2020. During this time the STADIO School of Education will continue to be available to support all its students in ensuring their continued academic success.