EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT COURSE: HIGHER CERTIFICATE IN PRE-SCHOOL EDUCATION
The one-year Higher Certificate in Pre-school Education (NQF 5, 126 Credits) is designed to equip students to effectively work with children by offering:
- A theoretical subject package including lectures, assignments, self-study tasks and examinations
- Hands-on practical experience with children aged birth to Gr. R (Reception Year) in various host schools
- Insight into career and entrepreneurial opportunities in the field of Child Care
- Exposure to After-School Care facilities and programmes
RATING: NQF 5 | CREDITS: 126
You can now also study the Higher Certificate in Pre-school Education via distance learning. Click here for more information.
Matric obtained from 2008
- National Senior Certificate or NQF Level 4 National Certificate (Vocational) with an endorsement for
entry into Higher Certificate studies or higher.
- Minimum rating of 3 (40-49%) in 4 subjects from the designated list.
- Minimum rating of 3 (40-49%) for English at Home Language Level or a minimum rating of 4 (50-
59%) for English at First Additional Language level.
Matric obtained prior to 2008
- Senior Certificate with a minimum of 50% in English.
Other access pathways
Recognition of prior learning may lead to entry or an advanced credit standing at the discretion of Embury.
- Classroom Practice.
- Computer Practice for Teachers OR
- Fundamental Mathematics
- Early Childhood Development Studies
- English for Teachers OR
- English Home Language OR
- Afrikaans Home Language OR
- isiZulu Home Language OR
- Sepedi Home Language OR
- Setswana Home Language AND
- English First Additional Language OR
- Afrikaans First Additional Language OR
- isiZulu First Additional Language OR
- Sepedi First Additional Language OR
- Setswana First Additional Language
- Grade R Teaching
- Health Education in Early Childhood Development
- Institutional Teaching Practice
- Practical Management of an Early Childhood Development Centre
- School-based Teaching Practice