Distance Learning (DL) Short Courses
Embury offers various short courses through distance learning. These short courses are based on what we teach our student teachers, so you can also benefit from this learning experience. Embury's short courses are aimed at the following people:
- ECD practitioners, pre-school educators and childminders who are not formally qualified and who do not have Grade 12
- Foundation Phase teachers who want to refresh their knowledge and skills
- Parents who are interested in early childhood development or who are home-schooling their young children.
A short course can never replace the need for a formal qualification. In other words, a short course does not provide you with a Certificate with which you can look for employment at a school or pre-school.
In order to study an Embury short course, you need to have access to a computer, an email address, and access to the internet. We follow an internet-supported model, which means that you will receive your core study material and textbooks in hardcopy via courier, but will have to download supplementary readings (such as CAPS documents) from our online student portal. You will also have to do online tests, upload your assignment and interact with other students online, so it is essential that you are connected to the internet if you want to do our short courses. Please note that Embury's short courses do not carry any credits towards our formal qualifications.
Embury offers the following short courses via distance learning:
- Short Course in Early Childhood Development: Introduction to Child-care Practices in the South African Context (Birth to 5 years)
- Short Course in Early Childhood Development: Planning for Quality ECD Teaching and Learning
- Short Course in Health Education in ECD
- Short Course in Working with CAPS in the Grade R Classroom
- Short Course in Computer Practice for Teachers
- Short Course in Classroom Practice